7.21.2011

The Best of Netflix Instant

In which every Wednesday I post about some of the best TV shows/movies available on Netflix Instant.  Check out a list of everything I have posted about in my Best of Netflix Instant Archive.

It's been a hectic week (partly because my computer broke) so I haven't had time to watch anything new on Netflix Instant.  As a result, I will be posting about an old favorite that you probably haven't seen.

The Iron Giant

In my opinion, The Iron Giant is the most under-appreciated and most-forgotten animated film of all time.  Released in 1999, the film tells the story of a lonely boy living in Maine during the height of the Cold War who discovers and befriends a gigantic alien robot. Critics (rightfully) loved The Iron Giant but audiences (wrongfully) never seemed to care.

Fun Fact of the day: Vin Diesel is the voice of the Iron Giant

With great animations, an accessible but surprisingly deep story, and solid voice acting, The Iron Giant had it all.  Ultimately, the film failed commercially for a variety of reasons but many of those involved blame Warner Bros.  Director Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatouille) said it was a, "mis-marketing campaign of epic proportions at the hands of Warner Bros., they simply didn't realize what they had on their hands."  I can imagine Warner Bros. executives face-palming after the The Iron Giant achieved a 97% approval rating on Rottentomatoes.

Even if you aren't a fan of cartoons, I think you will still find something to love about what may be the greatest non-Disney (or Pixar) animated film of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment