11.14.2011

Trailer Trash Tuesday


I really wanted to like this trailer.  It's epic, has a cool soundtrack, stars Thor/Captain Kirk's dad, and has a forest monster at 1:28 that reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth.  However, I have to resist my natural tendencies and keep in mind everything that seems wrong with it.

Firstly, what is up with Charlize Theron's voice?  The South African is a proven actress but her quasi-British accent varies between odd and awful over the course of the trailer.  Chris Hemsworth's Irish accent is way more convincing.  Then there's Kristen Stewart.  She deserves some hatred for portraying the most ridiculously boring character in cinema history aka Bella Swan but Stewart probably takes too much flack for that one role.  What concerns me is that this trailer made her out to be the same emotionless mute.  She doesn't even speak!  The Huntsman, the Queen, and even the goddamn Mirror On The Wall seem more interesting.

A strong director would lower my skepticism but Rupert Sanders is an "acclaimed commercial director" who has never directed a film.  In other words, he's a completely unknown quantity.  Unless future trailers ease my concerns, I'm going to stick with Stardust.



There are a couple other trailers I want to talk about but unfortunately I'm swamped with work for the next few days so they will have to wait until next week.



This Week's Trailer Trash Throwback: The film portion of the greatest book, TV show, and movie triumvirate of all time.





No comments:

Post a Comment