9.14.2011

Trailer Trash Tuesday (the one-day-late-edition)

In which I talk about some of the best/worst trailers.



Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil

Wow, that is a surprisingly hilarious trailer.  I expected another Scary Movie or Meet the Spartans (I HATE THOSE MOVIES) but this looks to be a refreshing parody of a genre that hasn’t done anything original in almost a decade.  The late 90’s was the heyday of teen horror films, every other new release seemed to feature unbelievably attractive young people running away from a psycho armed with a sharp object.  Figuring out who would survive the mad man’s rampage was as simple as locating the most attractive male and female.  The aforementioned Scary Movie series attempted to parody those types of films but still sucked.  Tucker and Dale looks like it might succeed.  Who would have thought that it would take until 2011 for someone to finally make a funny parody?  Also, Alan Tudyk aka Wash from Firefly is a personal favorite of mine. 

I’m going to look pretty dumb if this ends up sucking.



Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence)


Anyone who reads this blog probably already knows my views on the Saw and Final Destination series but for those of you who don’t: I hate them.  I think both series produce cheap movies that rely on gore and shock-factor instead of plot or character development.  That being said, at least Saw tries to have a plot and Final Destination has a reasonably interesting premise, the first time (not the fifth time).  Human Centipede doesn’t even try to do anything but show the most vomit-inducing, unsettling scenes possible.  From what I can tell the sequel is just going to try and up the grossness as much as possible and then up it some more (reading the Wikipedia article made me uncomfortable).  Call me crazy, but a filmmaker whose only skill is thinking of the most awful things that can happen to a human being does not impress me. 

I really wish Human Centipede 2 wasn’t happening.  What if aliens receive a transmission of the broadcast making it their first exposure they have to the human race?!  I’m already worried they might have seen Two Girls One Cup





This week’s Trailer Trash Throwback:

Meet the Spartans (click on the link for the trailer)
No, your career just got served
Apparently whomever owns the rights to Meet the Spartans disabled video embedding for every decent quality trailer.  I’m assuming this is a halfhearted attempt to keep people like myself from flinging hatred at the film.  That won’t stop me.  Some things don’t deserve hatred while some others do but Meet the Spartans demands hatred.

I remember thinking the trailers looked bad but dear god that is beyond awful.  The only impressive part about Meet the Spartans is that the actors managed to deliver those lines with a straight face.  They must have been hammered.  Cramming as many pop culture references as possible in to a film isn’t funny.  In fact, it may have accomplished something I didn’t think possible: be less funny that this: 






If you want to maintain your faith humanity stop reading. 

Aside from grossing $85 million at the box office, for one week in January 2008 Meet the Spartans was the most popular movie in North America.  How is that possible?! What is the world coming to?!




No comments:

Post a Comment