9.28.2011

Trailer Trash Tuesday

In which I talk about some of the best/worst trailers.



Premium Rush

It’s safe to say that I <3 Joseph Gordon-Levitt.  Although, I can’t say exactly why I have a man-crush on him.  Maybe it’s because I’ve seen him grow up in movies (he starred in Angels in the Outfield) or because he almost always plays a sympathetic everyman.  Regardless of the exact reason, I’m happy to see Gordon-Levitt’s star continue to rise.  That being said, nothing about this trailer really excited me.  There were a few cool clips of Levitt (or a stuntman) riding his bike but the plot didn’t catch my attention and neither did the life of a New York bike messenger.  Maybe future trailers will add a sense of suspense but right now I’m not interested enough to see Premium Rush in theaters.  On a side note, how many times is Levitt’s character going to get hit by a car in this movie? It happens three times in the trailer.





Big Miracle

This is going to sound cold and callous, maybe it is, but by the end of that trailer I couldn’t stop thinking about whether this massive operation is a misallocation of resources.  A whole city shut down, the United States National Guard became involved, as did Soviet icebreakers, and the governor of a state more than twice the size of Texas came under fire when he probably had bigger things to worry about.  The operation also cost more than $1 million.  I know I sound mean but it seems like a million dollars could be better spent on something else related to the environment.  Then again, maybe this movie’s $30 million budget is an even larger misallocation of resources.



This week's Trailer Trash Throwback:

Flash Gordon

This is a throwback from way before my time but I recently watched it. Flash Gordon is campy, colorful, bizarre, and entertaining in the strangest way possible.  It tells the story of Flash Gordon, a star player on the New York Jets who is sucked into an intergalactic conflict with the aptly named Ming the Merciless.  As far as I know, it’s the first film to combine lightning fields, Hawkmen, a song by Queen, and Timothy Dalton.  If you feel like getting alcohol poisoning try this drinking game.

No comments:

Post a Comment