8.24.2011

The Best of Netflix Instant

I apologize for how half-asssed/ non-existent my Best of Netflix Instant post has been lately. Computer problems, family vacation, and an extremely long black out are partially responsible. However, not being able to find anything worthy of my list has been the biggest issue. 


 About two weeks ago I started watching Mad Men and my enthusiasm was through the roof. I expected to be blown away but maybe I expected too much. At season two’s midway point I’m still not hooked to the show. It has great production values and solid acting but I don’t actually like any of the characters, everyone’s a huge asshole. I don’t need a saint, but a primary male character whose favorite pastime isn’t adultery would be a start.  I’m going to continue watching Mad Men but until I truly enjoy the show I won’t add it to my Best of Netflix Archive. Thankfully, I found something else to talk about.


Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
She blue herself
Since it’s release in 2004 I have been hearing how amazing Eternal Sunshine is but I never had a strong desire to see it. It could have been because Ace Ventura/Lloyd Christmas starred in a dramatic role or it could have been the title. Whatever the reason for my unconditional aversion to the film, I’m glad I got passed it because Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a fantastic film. It manages to turn what appears to be a fairly standard love story into one of the most original, thought-provoking films I have ever seen. The film does this by adding a dash of science fiction: what if a doctor specialized in removing memories about someone’s ex. During a rough break-up you could have the memories of your relationship erased. The tiny bit of science fiction in an otherwise normal world works to great effect.

The plot centers around Joel Barish's (Jim Carrey) decision to have the memory of his ex erased but as the procedure is performed he changes his mind and desperately tries to cling to the memories.  Meanwhile, various subplots add to the already strong main narrative.  Even some relatively minor characters end up having interesting stories.  To my surprise, I even managed to (mostly) take Jim Carrey seriously and forget he used to be Ace Venture and Lloyd Christmas. Then again, I can never completely forget about this:

Big Gulps?!

No comments:

Post a Comment