6.28.2011

Trailer Trash Tuesday

In which I talk about some of the best and worst trailers.

Moneyball

I should start by admitting I have a soft spot for inspirational, non-fiction sports stories.  That being said, when I read about the movie I was skeptical.  Brad Pitt as a baseball general manager + Jonah Hill + Philip Seymour Hoffman + The Oakland Athletics =…huh?  The trailer changed my mind.  The main characters seems to fit well Brad Pitt is funny and Jonah Hill plays the endearing sidekick.

What interests me the most about Moneyball is the fresh take on sports movies.  At its core this film is a classic underdog story that has been told dozens of times in The Mighty Ducks, Hoosiers, Remember the Titans, Cinderella Man, the list goes on and on. Moneyball tells the story of underdogs but ultimately explains WHY they are successful.  It’s not some magical force (or angels) that propels the little guy past the bigger, faster, stronger opponent.  The underdogs ultimately had something special that no one else saw.  This film is going to hinge upon how well it explains to the average person what Pitt and Hill’s characters are trying to do.  But with a screenplay penned by Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing and The Social Network) it should succeed.



Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chip-Wrecked

A parody of the “king of the world” scene from Titanic, SERIOUSLY?!  I thought after beating that horse along with all of its relatives to death, America had moved past those ten years ago.  Also, as a film meant to appeal to young children, why does a reference to Titanic sound like a good idea? 

Alvin and the Chipmunks has definitely become way less edgy over the last two decades.  I remember watching 1987’s The Chipmunk Adventure as a kid.  Its plot revolves around the Chipmunks and Chipettes smuggling blood diamonds around the world for cold-blooded criminals.  Here’s a short scene from the movie with the Chipettes singing about the dolls they smuggle diamonds in.  The guy in the limo at the very end of the clip looks like the biggest douchebag in the history of cinema.





Spy Kids: All the Time In The World

Is it mean of me to keep picking on movies meant for children? Probably.  Does that mean I’m going to stop? Absolutely not.

Let me get this straight, you are an international super spy in the possession of a crystal that has the ability to control time, so the safest place for the most powerful object known to man is around the neck of your new step child?  If anyone besides Jessica Alba made that decision I would question the logic, but as a rule I don’t question her

It’s hard to tell but the villain in that trailer is actually Jeremy Piven.  With Entourage entering its final season this doesn’t bode well for his career.  In fact, this doesn’t bode well for the careers of anyone in this film, except for Jessica Alba, I don’t question her career.


No comments:

Post a Comment