6.11.2011

Summer movie preview: June

 Today I'm previewing movie releases for the rest of June.  Note: On a count of my last post I'm not going to be previewing Green Lantern.


They even got a token fat kid
Released on June 10th, 2011


Starring:
Kyle Chandler
The Doctor from The Walking Dead
Child actors I've never heard of
Dakota Fanning's sister

After Mission Impossible III and Star Trek, Super 8 is the third movie directed by J.J. Abrams.  Super 8 is set in the late 1970’s and is about an extraterrestrial that gets loose in a small Midwestern town.  People start disappearing, the government gets involved, and shit hits the fan.  The film follows a group of kids who are involved in many of the plot’s events.

Super 8 is meant to be a homage to movies from the 80’s, especially Spielberg’s (he’s a producer) E.T.  I’m not interested enough to see Super 8 in theaters but will definitely request it from Netflix in a few months.



Jim Carrey: how far you've fallen since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
 
and Dumb and Dumber
June 17, 2011 Release date
Starring:
Jim Carrey
Carla Gugino
CGI Penguins

Does Hollywood have to ruin every book from my childhood?  At the very least don’t completely change the story and still call it Mr. Poppers Penguins.  I will not ever be seeing this movie (shocking, right?).  If someone tries to release a movie adaptation of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, I might cry.



WHY!?
June 24, 2011 Release
Official Trailer

Starring:
Owen Wilson
Michael Cane
Larry the Cable Guy (Why?!)

Pixar is one of the greatest things to ever happen.  The studio churns out an incredible film on almost a yearly basis and each one seems better and more popular than the last.  Recently however, Pixar has changed gears. After only releasing one sequel in its first ten movies, Toy Story 2, Pixar released Toy Story 3 and two of its next three movies will also be sequels.
 I don’t have a problem with making Toy Story 3, that franchise was a classic. I don’t even have a problem with the Monster Inc. prequel entitled Monsters University (set for a June 21, 2013 release).  I do have a problem with a Cars sequel.  I think Cars is the worst Pixar movie ever made, and critics tend to agree with me.  Every Pixar movie broke 90% on Rottentomatoes.com except for Cars, which has a 73%.  There are worse things than being called the “worst Pixar movie of all time,” Cars wasn’t terrible, it just didn’t reach the same level of innovation and imagination as their other movies.   Any disappointment I felt about the prospect of another Cars film only grew larger when I saw the trailer.  Spies? Poop jokes? Mediocre-looking action scenes? Come on Pixar!  You aren’t Dreamworks.  You have spoiled me for too long. I don’t want mediocre or pretty good, I want Pixar-quality.




I remember my first hangover


June 24, 2011 Release
Official Trailer

Starring:
Cameron Diaz
JT
Jason Segal
Phyllis from The Office (here real name is Phyllis too!)

I’ve heard more creative titles and normally I would hate on/not even consider seeing a movie with Cameron Diaz as the lead, but I find the completely absurd premise of this movie highly amusing.  Here is Bad Teacher's premise in a nutshell: horrible person becomes horrible teacher and that horrible person is also a gold digger.  In order to marry a rich guy, horrible person/teacher decides to start being a better teacher so she can get a bonus and buy new boobs to attract the aforementioned rich guy.  That sounds like the premise of an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  I still question how well an amusing premise will translate into an enjoyable movie, but I just might add this one to my Netflix queue.



For once in my life I'm completely speechless
June 19th, 2011 Limited Release
the official trailer is not fit for this blog

The description I found for this movie is: “From original Japanese Translation: A film about a rapist that go around rapping father’s.  Ending where the victim seeks revenge.  A classic tale with a twist.  Of course, this is a comedy for our best enjoyment!”  Wow Japan, you’ve really topped yourself this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment